Dates & Location
The training will be held starting at 9am EST on Thursday, June 27th, on Capitol Hill (100 Maryland Ave NE Washington, D.C. 20002) and will conclude with visits with members of Congress and their staff on Friday, June 28th. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend the One Journey Festival on June 29th at the Washington National Cathedral.
Please allow for ample travel and navigation time. We have a full schedule for Thursday and will start promptly at 9am.
Ahead of Love God, Love Neighbor:
- Please watch two modules titled “Pathways to Protection” (44 minutes) and “Refugee Resettlement 101” (27 minutes). We will expect you to come to the training with this basic knowledge of resettlement and asylum. Therefore, watching these modules is mandatory. You can also find these videos in the Partners in Welcome online portal. If you would like to join Partners in Welcome, register here.
- Research your members of Congress. On June 28, you will be meeting with your members of Congress or their staff, so come prepared with some knowledge about them! Enter your zip code to find out who your Senators and Representative are: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members. Then use this site to explore their social media, website, committees, voting history. And do a quick search to see if they have made statements recently about refugees.
- Booking travel. The training will begin with registration at 8:30 AM on Thursday, June 27 so we encourage you to arrive either the night before or allow plenty of travel time to join us that morning. Please do not plan to leave DC earlier than 5 PM on Friday, June 28. Participants will be on Capitol Hill that day holding meetings and we may need to schedule meetings as late as 4:30 PM. We also hope that you will be able to stay through Saturday, June 29 to attend the One Journey Festival (more info below). If you have already booked your travel and this conflicts, please let Melissa know as soon as possible.
Be aware that the training will take place on Capitol Hill and there is limited parking. The closest parking garage is at Union Station. We encourage you to take the Metro (closest stations are Union Station (red line) or Capitol South (blue, orange, silver lines)) or Uber, Lyft, or a rideshare.
Schedule (Please note the schedule is subject to change.)
Thursday, May 28
8:30 – 9:00 AM Registration at Methodist Building, 100 Maryland Ave NE, Conference room 1 & 2, Washington, DC 20002 (on Capitol Hill)
9:00 – 9:30 AM Welcome, Introductions
9:30 – 10:30 AM Moderated Panel featuring experts on asylum and refugee protection and resettlement
10:30 – 10:40 AM Break
10:40- 11:00 AM Open Dialogue
11:00 AM – 12:15 PM Advocacy Training and Preparation for Hill Meetings on June 28
12:15 – 1:15 PM Lunch (will be provided)
1:15 – 2:45 PM – Messaging and Storytelling Training
2:45 – 3:00 PM Break
3:00 – 4:00 PM Advocacy Practice, Take it Home
4:00 – 4:30 PM Presentation from Founder of One Journey Festival
4:30 – 5:00 PM Closing
Friday, May 28
8:30 AM- 9:30 AM Gather at Methodist Building for opening and preparation for Hill meetings (mandatory)
- Each participant will have an individual schedule and should expect to have 2-4 meetings with their respective members of Congress or their staff (please note meetings may likely be with staff). Each person will be accompanied by either a staff member of EMM or The Episcopal Church Office of Government Relations or a partner of ours. Participants will receive their meeting schedule at registration on June 27. Please do not plan to leave DC before 5 PM.
- We will have snacks and coffee available throughout June 27 and June 28, including some light breakfast options.
We will provide lunch on June 27, but other meals are not provided for. We will send a list of local restaurants for suggestions in coming weeks.
We encourage you to pack your own water bottle. We will have cups and pitchers of water available, but invite you to bring your own reusable bottle.
- You are responsible for lunch on June 28. This is a list of lunch options at the Capitol and nearby.
- June 27 attire is casual.
- On June 28, you will be in meetings on Capitol Hill so we encourage you to wear business attire or business casual attire. There will be a significant amount of walking on June 28 so please plan to wear comfortable shoes.
- At the One Journey Festival on June 29, please wear casual or comfortable clothes.